I’ve gone and seen movies, read the new Harry Potter. Which is frustrating in it’s own way because I’m determined to not spoil it for everyone else who has yet to read it. But I’m dying to talk about it.
I saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory which I hated. And I read reviews of it shaking my head and wondering if I’ve missed the boat on this. Like Batman Begins which I also hated. Beth and I are the ones who didn’t like it. It makes me think I might wondering off the path into the darkness.
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was very Tim Burton, but not his best work. And I love Tim Burton. And I love Johnny Depp. Which it way it hurts me to say that Tim Burton’s vision was not true to the book, and his vision lacked the enchantment, the scope and the charm of either the original story or film. I felt betrayed by his warped view of Wonka. Willy Wonka should never have his background explained to use further than what glimpses Dahl gives us. His mystery is half of his charm. It’ no small thing… Where is the wonder in the inventing? You never get the idea that Wonka actually makes his candy. You don’t see his innovations and you lose the delectable descriptions the fantasies of these candies. Plus this one hates kids and families. Which begs the question why would he want to give his factory to a kid if he hates them?
He missed the point. He missed his own vision, and capabilities.
Oh and the candy room… the room that was the base of so many fantasies as a child. A wondrous room made of candy was very Burton but very bland. Candy apples grew on trees, the melon like fruits were filled with a similar goo as the original films. It wasn’t innovative it wasn’t more exciting and the oompa loompas still sang. Narrowing my eyes at this. The biggest complaints about the original film were that, there was too much singing, and it didn’t follow the original. The same could be said for this. Plus the back story and all of the contrived back story… Grampa Joe working for Wonka, Charlie’s dad working at a toothpaste factory, Wonka’s dad being a dentist… sigh. Yes the squirrels are great but I hardly think this movie stick to the original anymore than the old one did.
Gene Wilder walked the line of creepy and kind, in an energetic, engaging, fantastic performance that stay true to the story. Johnny Depp the most wonderful, talented Johnny Depp gets swept away in his performance… but fails to capture the spirit of the original story.
I hate thinking this way. I hate not liking a Tim Burton film staring Johnny Depp no less.
Oh well.
Have some art after that.
This was a birthday card for my friend Laura.

Beth mentioned the other day as I complained that my work is very "white bread" or "American Cheese" that she thought my work retained a certain innocence to it. And that's what I was seeing. In college I cherished that innocence of my work and now... I 'm not sure. Maybe it is a good thing...
5 comments:
hey...it's not your fault, with the exception of life aquatic which technically it came out last year (right?) there hasn't been a movie all year that has moved me...
batman was entertaining but forgettable....
star wars made me violently ill...
kingdom of heaven a complete disappointment....
the list goes on really...
thanks for signing up for the meatspace...btw, tho, song?! song?! i think beth shortchanged me-i got no song....ha ha
I'm sure Beth sang a song after she hung up. We had quite a bit to drink that night. I'm sure she was amusing none the less.
Well the movies haven't been great this year, I'm glad I'm not crazy.
I just feel dark in viewing them so harshly.
I also see my work as being white bread or too clean. I think it's due to me being too self critical and aiming to reach a level of talent which is someone elses. Hmm...
I have no comment on movies. I personally loved Kingdom of Heaven... but then... it had a battle in it and we all know about me and my battle scenes. I also liked Charlie and the Chocolate Factory... and I was amused by Mr. & Mrs. Smith - of all random things. But I agree that we have not had any truly wonderful movies this year. I am hopefully for The Brothers Grimm and Harry Potter and King Kong... but they are not out for a while.
I finished HBP if you want to email me about it. :)
No, there is no excuse for not writing and keeping the rest of us entertained! Don't you know that's why you are here on earth? ;) You know I'm joking of course! I personally wasn't thrilled with Depp's Wonka, but I wasn't upset by it either. With all the re-makes lately (I guess the screenwriters are out of ideas, huh?) I've learned to see each one as it's own entity instead of comparing to the previous version (or TV/comic/whatever version). It seems I enjoy more movies that way (and when it takes $20 just to buy matinee tickets for the girls and I, I'd damn well better enjoy it!). Now that I've said that...I want an oompa-loompa NOW!
You're right Hillary I have to focus and start entertaining again. Good call.
As for movies... well lets say I'll always hold movies up to the books they are based on. Most of the time I'll think the book is better, although some work translates better into film. Look at "A Room with a View".
I don't mind a good remake, or even just a really different one. But I have issue with how they bill the films. And all I hear about is how this one is closer to the book, and better than the original film. I argue both points.
The thing is with this one, I'm dissapointed in Tim Burton. I'm not upset with him. I believe his intentions are entirely noble. I think he felt he had a new vision for it and wanted to share it with the world. He didn't do it out of greed or to sully it. He motives were good... I just didn't like what he had to say.
Post a Comment