Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Johnny, oh Johnny!

Right Fran… Pirates of the Caribbean II .

You all know I love Johnny, wait scratch that… You all know I adore, love, worship and lust after Johnny Depp. You all know that Captain Jack Sparrow is the stuff my dreams are made of… savvy?

But Part II of this trilogy left me begging the question “But why is the rum gone?”

Sequel syndrome my friends, it suffered from sequel syndrome. It left what wit, charm and plot it had behind and became obsessed with the action. Everything had to be bigger. It left the spectacular for the spectacle. Plot, character development, story, charisma and charm was thrown overboard. Effects, dizzying fight scenes, ridiculously complicated set up lead no where. With all of this it somehow left its swatches unbuckled. Oh and there wasn’t nearly enough rum.

Maybe I hadn’t had nearly enough rum…

It took the romance out of the seas. And it forced a romantic plotline where one needed to be lead, seductively down the path.

And the worst thing is I knew it form the preview alone.

I read a review somewhere that said they’ve taken what might be a decent 3 hour plot and bloated it to be a 5 hour movie split in two. And depending on how the 3rd film goes that might be true. But this was a long 2 ½ hours… and we haven’t seen where the arc ends.

And Johnny is lovely.

Captain Jack Sparrow is lovely.

He has much less to work with but is charming.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Maybe I hadn’t had nearly enough rum… "

ha ha....you're too funny kate. yeah, i felt similar to you regarding the filming of the plot itself. i thought the beginning felt flat on its back. i think it was what it was tho-a good action movie = lots of eye candy and not much else. lol. it was long but a i think because i was expecting it to end at a cliffhanger, i became greedy and kept saying, oh, this is going to be end right here", but hoping it wasn't and when it wasn't i was glad so i didn't feel the length of the movie to be too much...out of greed...lol

Anonymous said...

"Maybe I hadn’t had nearly enough rum… "

ha ha....you're too funny kate. yeah, i felt similar to you regarding the filming of the plot itself. i thought the beginning felt flat on its back. i think it was what it was tho-a good action movie = lots of eye candy and not much else. lol. it was long but a i think because i was expecting it to end at a cliffhanger, i became greedy and kept saying, oh, this is going to be end right here", but hoping it wasn't and when it wasn't i was glad so i didn't feel the length of the movie to be too much...out of greed...lol

Zelda Zap said...

I always think boys view the action genre in a way that I can't... I can't seperate action or special effects away from the plot. I never end up weighing action that high. Maybe it's not a boy thing, maybe it's an action thing. I knew it was a cliffhanger too but I kept thinking "We aren't even near the cliff yet" But I had to go see it. I miss captain Barbosa. Now that's a villan you can cheer for.

Anonymous said...

yeah, i was very happy and completely surprised that he was in the movie. in fact, i was surprised the commodore was in the movie as well. i realized after the movie that i kept myself unspoiled for it which it probably helped. yeah, i couldn't NOT go to see the movie either despite reading bad reviews about it. i think that's probably why i liked it, because my expectations were low *does hand sign for low*...ha ha...i do like davey jones tho. he's cliched but he's gnarly plus, he's carrying a torch for his lost love and is sensitive to will's plight. somewhat anyway. but you're right. the plot is weak. it could have been developed a lot better honestly. it couldn't possibly be that hard to do it. they had the right stuff for it. still, i did have a good time. did you know notice too, btw, that the island sequence had a king kong feel to it? i dunno if you watched king kong but at some points when the crew and JS were trying to escape from the island it felt like i was watching king kong a bit...

Zelda Zap said...

I read the bad reviews I knew I wasn't going to like it before I went in. But in a way I suppose I was dissapointed from the start. Because the first movie was so much better, and this movie could have been so much better. I guess I expect every movie to be made as a complete film, a good film, a good story. I don't believe in action for action's sake, romance for romance sake... I want it all. And that leads to dissapointment. But I just can't relax my standards.

At least it wasn't Willy Wonka all over again. That was even worse for me because it was three of my favorite poeple, Roald Dahl, Tim Burton and Johnny Depp. When three great tastes, didn't tast great together. That Dentist thing pissed me off. Willa Wonka has no need of history! His history is legends!

Oh well... I'll still see the next one next year.

Anonymous said...

oh god, willy wonka! if it hadn't been for corpse bride, i would still have a bad taste in my mouth about that one...you're right tho...POC2 had sequel syndrome written all over and the good aspects of the movie got buried under that...no matter tho...lol...still seeing the third one of course...same thing happened to me with star wars (the new ones) and the matrix...i HAD to see them beacause if i was going to be subjected i figured i was going to subject myself to the end of the franchise!

Zelda Zap said...

Oh yeah I did see all of the starwars movies. To my horror. But I had to see it through.

Not the Matrix though. I don't go for that neochristian sci-fi ;) I just didnt' like the first Matrix movie so there was no way I'd see the others.

I'll see the next POC too. I never did see King Kong (previous comment) but if I do I'll have to keep my eyes open for the similarities.

Anonymous said...

on a completely unrelated note, i dreamt last night that i came to visit you and your mom to mexico, because, that's where you lived now...in mexico, in a huge house...so huge i got lost in it....that's about the extent that i remember tho...and i think there was a beach nearby...i think i may have looked into your futures there...or not...lol...but maybe i did! lol

Hadley said...

I still have not seen... which makes me so sad. Sequels always loose the passion of the original. I don't even want to talk about The Mummy Returns... I love the Mummy and only own The Mummy Returns on dvd due to my being so stubborn... but I must see for Master Johnny... STSJDFC unite!!!