I used to use the planets as a pneumonic device to remember the mnemonic device for the planets.
The planets themselves were easy for some reason I could see them lined up in row, remembering which ones were bigger or smaller, hotter and colder helped.
Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto were easier for me to remember than “My very excited mother just served us nine pizzas.” My mother personally wouldn’t be too excited to serve us at all.
Had the pneumonic device been more exciting… I might have remembered that.
I did use that pneumonic device to remember the classifications:
King Philip came over for great sex.
I had imagined Prince Philip from sleeping beauty grew up to be king, and still a hottie at that, I'm sure the sex was great!
Kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus, species.
I knew the order of the spectrum before my dad taught me Roy G. Biv. But I wish the president had known about Roy G. Biv before he came out with his color codes for terror. The spectrum is red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet. His color code went (form highest to lowest levels) red, orange, yellow, blue, and green. It irked me to say the least. It also irked me that nobody noticed or reported on the breach in the spectrum. But that’s another story.
So now there are new planets (Ceres and Eris) and a new pneumonic device to remember. Maybe this one will stick with me.
My Very Exciting Magic Carpet Just Sailed Under Nine Palace Elephants.
I’ve got to say… I like this one.
2 comments:
My goodness... I think your brain works on levels mine doesn't even have. :)
I definitely have a strange thought process sometimes. Memory has always been a crapshoot with me. I know there's some logic to it but I've never been able to pin down why some things stick and somethings are permanently mixed up.
Post a Comment