
I don't do political art as a general rule. Not that I don't like it, just I've never had a particular need to make much of my own. But something a friend said, sparked an image in my mind. Because while I don't typically do political art, I often like to follow up on a joke.
Where did this stem from? And what is so political about the pig in the picture.
My sister sent me a link to a site "Girl Scouts Exposed: Lessons in lesbianism". Which so horrified and so amused me in turns, it really made me think that it had to be a joke. Because I couldn't imagine anyone seriously thinking some of the things in the articles. It questioned the Girl Scout curriculum, taking issues with a lack of Christian teachings, use of quotes from eastern religions, global warming, labyrinths, and if I'm not mistaken world peace. There were also issues with feminism, which considering the group, The Girl Scouts, founded by a woman, run by women, for girls... it didn't really make sense to me.
I sent this link to a friend who wrote back:
I would like to say as a former Girl Scout (Mom made me), there was absolutely no religious content in my troupe experience - other than the word "God" in the GS promise (which I no longer remember). We took walks in the woods, learned how to recognize poison ivy, learned to make a stove out of a tin can and a candle and made french toast with it, made God's eyes (not religious either - yarn craft), played with gimp, made friendship bracelets, had an international day, visited nursing homes, and sold cookies. Of course, once you learn all that stuff, they give you a card to keep in your wallet that says "God-hating/Communist/Buddhist/Feminist Pig." I still have mine.
Where did this stem from? And what is so political about the pig in the picture.
My sister sent me a link to a site "Girl Scouts Exposed: Lessons in lesbianism". Which so horrified and so amused me in turns, it really made me think that it had to be a joke. Because I couldn't imagine anyone seriously thinking some of the things in the articles. It questioned the Girl Scout curriculum, taking issues with a lack of Christian teachings, use of quotes from eastern religions, global warming, labyrinths, and if I'm not mistaken world peace. There were also issues with feminism, which considering the group, The Girl Scouts, founded by a woman, run by women, for girls... it didn't really make sense to me.
I sent this link to a friend who wrote back:
I would like to say as a former Girl Scout (Mom made me), there was absolutely no religious content in my troupe experience - other than the word "God" in the GS promise (which I no longer remember). We took walks in the woods, learned how to recognize poison ivy, learned to make a stove out of a tin can and a candle and made french toast with it, made God's eyes (not religious either - yarn craft), played with gimp, made friendship bracelets, had an international day, visited nursing homes, and sold cookies. Of course, once you learn all that stuff, they give you a card to keep in your wallet that says "God-hating/Communist/Buddhist/Feminist Pig." I still have mine.
I thought it might be funny to give her a card for her wallet that said "God-hating/Communist/Buddhist/Feminist Pig."
So I came up with this. You'll notice her badges are a crossed our Jesus fish, a hammer and sickle, an ohm, and mirror of Venus. It was just too fun to pass up.
No comments:
Post a Comment