Friday, April 29, 2005

Bus blues...

This has been a hell of a week on the bus... If it isn't my arch enemy the pushy the woman in the front of the bus, it's the crazy person screaming about the revolution doing gymnastics on the poles. Today we sat for 20 minutes watching the traffic jam and unjam around a truck that was blocking the street.

The crazy guy was the worst. He came on the bug screaming how the white people wouldn't answer his questions. I didn't see to many people of any color, trying to answer his questions. When you scream at people they get nervous and avoid you. While we were on the highway he started doing some crazy gymnastic on the poles screaming about the revolution that was coming and how the non Christians were are going to die. Obviously the guy needed help... But it was nervewracking. He was right by the driver and you just had that sinking feeling that he might try for the wheel or distract the driver enough to have an accident.

People sat quietly while those in the back of the the bus made discreet phone calls to the police. Everything was quiet everyone acted painfully normal. The blond guy in front of me asked if I had a cell phone. I handed it over and he looked at me like I should make the call. But I said go ahead make the call and he sat there contemplating for a while before handing it back. I don't blame him, we were both close to the guy. Who knows what he would do if her heard us calling and explaining. He had tied this mesh scarf around his face at this point and was yelling about how the white women wouldn't answer his questions. I had passed him on the way onto the bus when he was yelling and I did ignore him. From my experience, you court trouble when you try to answer those questions.

But the bus finally stopped and the police came to escort him off the bus. It was handled very smoothly, and nobody was hurt or offended. The guy got off the bus quietly. I always thank the bus driver as I get off the bus but that day everyone did. He did a good job. I hope more people thank him regularly.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

whoa, i am glad you and everyone on the bus turned out safe.

the man is quite obviously a gonner. it's so sad because their very attempts to connect with society are the reason that prevents them from connecting. it's a vicious cycle and the harder they try the more they fail. it's sad.

you did good not talking to him though.

fran

Zelda Zap said...

It was very sad. The guy had such big problems... but every attempt to communicate with him made him more bold and angry. We all just sat there wondering where it ends.

DogsDontPurr said...

This is why I avoid public transportation at all costs! Oy! I'm glad everything turned out OK.

Anonymous said...

I'm slow on the draw but yeah, the blog lives again. I need to get one up soon myself.. life is so busy aqnd multilayered out here.

See you on Saturday if my journey finds me well. :P

Zelda Zap said...

Marcie, it's not so bad most of the time it's just some weeks you can't catch a break. This has just been one of of those weeks...

Louis! Welcome to party! I hope to see you tonight... It should be interesting more family is coming than I originally thought. Wild.

Hadley said...

Oh, how I don't miss commuting on the T.... brings back memories of Mark Leighton wanting to be a dead commuter for Halloween.

I meant to call you all day and never had a chance. Arwyn and I are both sick with a whopper of a cold. Cough, fever, runny nose - and Arwyn has five molars coming in as well. Hence, I won't see you tonight. :(

I will try to call you tomorrow, Birthday Girl. :)