Thursday, April 27, 2006

DAY OF THE DAD!

I found my new favorite genre of Zombie Movies. For a while it was fast moving light fearing Zombies ala Rage Monkeys of 28 Days Later. But now its non flesh eating French eerie zombies of doom!

Okay on a whim Beth and I rented “They Came Back”. A 2004 French movie about the undead. And it crept us out big time. We both liked the some what silly English title of the film and the premise that one day for about 2 hours the recent dead (within 10 years) came back to life clean and in good health. The people tried to reintegrate them into society but something was wrong.

The thing was, and this was the big creep factor for me. I’ve had a lot of dreams about my dad since he died (ten years ago this Friday) and he’s always been Dad in my dreams but a little off. I always know he’s dead, and he’s always strangely still, quiet and just off. And by off I mean in the exact way the people in this film are off. The dead, the undead. Beth also plagued by these dreams of my father made the same remark. In our dreams he acts like they did. And it scared us, it felt too true. We loved it.

So put it on your list if you haven’t seen it. It’s a slow pace and in French but worth it.

Now all I can do is sit here thinking about how my dad died ten years ago tomorrow morning. I just have to make it through tomorrow morning and I’ll be safe. I don’t want to here about my dad coming back from the dead tomorrow. I’ve had too many of those dreams. Beth and I dub tomorrow:

DAY OF THE DAD!!!

Or D- Day

D-Day, June 6th, the Allied invasion of Normandy

D-Day, June 6th my dad’s birthday

D-Day, Dad’s Day, Father’s Day, second Sunday in June

D-Day, Death Day, April 28, the day my dad died

Day of the Dead, November 1st. Celebration of those who have died.

Day of the Dad = Any and all of these days.

If I can make it through tomorrow I’ll be safe. If not, well have you met my dad? He’s a zombie but… I still love him, even if he creeps me out a little. Don’t worry he won't eat your flesh… we think.

1 comment:

Hadley said...

I have it sitting on top of my tv... Ry and I are going to watch it either today or tonight.

Fast zombies scare the pants off me.