Monday, June 12, 2006

An Inconvenient Truth

So I have a favor to ask everyone I know. And it may sound left wing liberal crazy. And to some of you that was a ringing endorsement of my favor. And to others it was quite the opposite. But I promise either way this is worth your while.

Go see Al Gore’s new documentary An Inconvenient Truth.

It’s science, and though I’d heard it all before… it was devastating. And hopeful. Seeing it all together the graphs, the charts, the photos, the brilliant Matt Groening animation... I felt a bit like Pandora when she opened that damn box. All hell and destruction burst loose. But remember small and shining at the bottom of the box was hope. We need that when we take on these insurmountable odds.

And Al Gore.

I’m as shocked as the next person. I didn’t like his political platform that he for president with. I didn’t like his choice of running mates. I didn’t like his views of school vouchers and censorship. I did like his views on the environment but I’m not sure he would have been a good president. Better than the one we have, absolutely. I don’t know about you but sometimes I feel that isn’t enough.

But Al Gore environmental crusader… well I’ve finally seen what he cares about. I’ve finally seen where his passion is. I’ve finally seen him reach people. And friends, I like what I see. I see a man raising alarms, not color levels. I see someone with a plan, who is ringing alarm bells not pushing panic buttons. I see a person who’s trying to make a difference against the odds. And he’s not asking for much. He’s out there trying to make things better.

I’d heard the facts before; I knew about the weather phenomenons, the ice caps melting the carbon dioxide levels rising, I’ve heard more than this movie covers. This is just a surprisingly powerful, funny, telling of it. It’s not perfect, it has flaws. I read a review that this is a 3 star movie about a 5 star PowerPoint presentation. That’s not far off. But it’s worth seeing.

So go see his movie and tell your friends about it. Talk about it. Do something about it.

No comments: