Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Improbable…

So I’ve been taking this improv class… and it’s been really fun. It’s goofy and can be clever. I’m not terribly good, but I can hold my own in my level 1 class. I’m not shy, and I just spit things out, even if it’s crap. And that’s a big part of it.

After or first set of classes ended our teacher Bobby told us we should all audition for the Boston Improv troupe. It would be a good experience and who knows maybe one of us would get in. I knew that none of us would get it but somehow I didn’t really know that. Some how we all deluded ourselves a bit.

I had an audition on Monday at 8:30 and my classmate Nancy had one at 9:00. So we agreed to meet for coffee before hand. It turns out she was able to move her audition to 8:30. Which was great because I figured if we went in together whatever happened would be less painful and would happen to us equally.

So we get there and fill out our paperwork, which was super easy for me, because I have done no theater ever. So I literally filled out my name and address and that was it.

We get into the theater with 8 other people and immediately we realized we were out matched. We hadn’t a prayer and all we could do was hold on for the ride.

We did two warm up exercises, which we had never done before. I screwed up on the rhythm one, but was okay. I just used the wrong hands and feet sometimes. But knowing what a panic those games throw me into, that was great for me.

Then we had ten minutes of scene work. And these people were great with strong characters, immediate connections, imaginative ideas. And we simply didn’t have the skill set to compete. We haven’t learned characters yet. We don’t’ know all of the rules of engagement. So immediately recognizing that we were out matched it was hard to get out there and take a stab at it. I got out there twice and didn’t do great but I did my best and I got out there. Poor Nancy got dragged out. She didn’t manage to get out on her own.

But part of the idea of the audition was to show the judges improvement next year if we audition again. I think more importantly is we got to see our own level compared to other leverl and it was enlightening. But it was cool too. It was terrifying, and getting out there seeing how hopeless it was but doing the best I could anyway. I was proud of myself. In the end I guess I did it for me. And so it was a good experience.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You've really been getting out there and doing a ton of different things! That's so cool. I'm really impressed that you're doing this improv thing. I would be absolutely terrified! But it's so good to get out and stretch yourself like that. If I were there, I'd probably be hiding in the back...but I would be clapping the loudest for you!

Zelda Zap said...

Now if only I would focus on something career oriented! Improv is a lot of fun, or at least the beginner class is. I want to continue until I get to level 5 when the class gets to put on their own show. But I'm only starting Level 2 in July. That audition was rough though, but I'm glad I did it.