Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Invisible

I wrote his about 2 years ago... It was about coming to work in my office. Where everyone ignored me for months. Seriously no one would talk to me. It brought me right back to being a kid again. I felt that same overwhelming frustration as I struggled to break into their little society and form a few connections. So the poem ended up being a quarter about my office and three quarters about that feeling I had in high school. Feeling small, and angry, but desperately trying to break in because really whether you liked it or not, you had to deal with these people five days a week.

Oh the office sees me now... and they may not like what they see. But they see me. I feel much better about that.

The Invisible Girl

The invisible girl with the visible peers
cries all alone with invisible tears.
She hasn’t a place were anyone sees
her invisible life, her invisible pleas.

The invisible smile… does it light up her face?
The invisible frown … does it fill her with hate?
Can’t they see that she’s there?
Pulls invisible hair,
an invisibly frustrated state.

She still goes to work
with those visible jerks,
And after she leaves is she visibly free
For the people they see her again.
Oh, when will she leave this invisibly scene?
And start looking for life round the bend.

2 comments:

Jeff G said...

Beautiful writing, Kate.

Zelda Zap said...

Thanks Jeff! I occasionally write a poem to the horror of my few readers.