I did this illustration for IF, the word was strong. And I immediately thought of a line from the Hilo Hattie Hop.When Hilo Hattie does the Hilo Hop
There's not a bit of use for a traffic cop
For everything and everybody
Comes to a stop
When Hilo Hattie does the Hilo Hop
The sugar raises cane
Palm trees sigh
The ukuleles fret
And the birds won't fly
The humuhumunukunuku stop swimming by
When Hilo Hattie does the Hilo Hop
That wahine has an opu
With a college education
There's no motion she won't go through
She doesn't leave a thing to your imagination
Now when Hattie does her stuff
They cry for more
And everybody knows
What they're crying for
The sailors leave the ships at sea and swim for the shore
When Hilo Hattie does the Hilo Hop
Now when Hattie oni onis
There's no doubt
That she's a girl who knows what it's all about
Babies hush, women blush
Strong men pass out
When Hilo Hattie does the Hilo Hop
All the folks in Hilo said "We love it"
But your dance is causing trouble
Hattie said "Think nothing of it
I'd do a bubble dance if I could find a bubble"
Now Hattie said she'd like to quit someday
And settle down for good on her old punee
The folks won't let her go because she's really okay
When Hilo Hattie does the Hilo Hop
When Hilo Hattie does the Hilo Hop
When Hilo Hattie does the Hilo Hop
"When Hilo Hattie Does the Hula Hop" was written by Don McDiarmid, Sr.
2 comments:
This illustration is perfect for that line! I like how you used her to frame the space.
Thank you Ann Marie! I'd been itching to illustrate scenes from this song for a while. So when the word was strong. I couldn't resist.
Post a Comment