Wednesday, October 21, 2009

You want to see something scary?

You want to see something really scary?

I went and saw Paranormal Activity. This is the $15,000 low budget that is sweeping the nation. I was impressed. People will say it’s a knock off of the Blair Witch Project, and other shaky cam mocumentary films like Cloverfield. It is in that vein.

What I liked about it is was it scared me. It was a small audience but soon into the film you started hearing the little gasps, the soft swearing, and the nervous laughs. I started playing with my hair. It’s a scary movie with a formula, namely night and day. Boy and Girl live together in San Diego, girl is haunted by something. We watch their surveillance style video of the haunting. Couple bickers by day, and cling together at night. It’s a great formula. Because it brings you into that cycle with them. Everything is fine now, but you know the night is coming. Every time it switched to the night cam, you sit there feeling the dread rise. There is something really creepy about things happening while you sleep. There are no real special effects in the movie it just plays upon the most primal fear. Are you afraid of the dark?

Yeah I am. Maybe that’s why the theater didn’t fully dim the lights.

2 comments:

Hadley said...

So... did the directors cut differ much from the theatrical?

Zelda Zap said...

The ending was different, I liked the strait out shock em ending of the theater version better. The director's cut ended on a nice amateur note. And there wasn't as much of the gruesome exorcism stuff. I guess the best part was being in the theater and listen to everyone shift in their seats and get scared.