Friday, October 02, 2009

Fleet Foxes...

So my brother was visiting. It was a good visit. We love each other, just sometimes... sometimes we don't get along. Sometimes we get under each others skin. Sometimes we push each other. Sometimes it harder. The last time it was mostly good but... it got dicey at the end.

We talked about that after it happened. We both promised to try a little harder... our efforts were rewarded. The visit was good. And it wasn't so much harder. We talked about our little connections. The things we both like, horror movies, and TV shows, True Blood. And we shared our music with one another. We'd listen to music he liked, we'd listen to music I liked.

And so my brother introduced me to a song... Fleet Foxes - White Winter Hymnal

I was following the pack
all swallowed in their coats
with scarves of red tied around their throats
to keep their little heads
from falling in the snow
And I turned around and there you go
And, Michael, you would fall
and turn the white snow red as strawberries
in the summertime...

I'm not a music person. That is to say I don't go out of my way to listen to music. I never listen to the radio, I hardly pay attention to the song in the now. And usually the songs I end up liking are the songs that I've heard a thousand times. Songs on TV shows, commercials, in movies. Bludgeon me enough with a song and I'll usually like it. Although it may take me 10-15 years to get there. Sometimes... I don't know that I'll ever actually like the song. Take Losing my Religion, by REM, but I can sing every lyric with maniacal glee and a vicious mocking tone. Songs usually need to grow on me. And I miss a lot.

But not that one it was so shocking lovely. So swiftly moving... about 30 seconds in, I declares "I like this!" my brother agreed it was good. But I needed this song, I had to have it, right now. He looked at his ipod for me and told me it was Fleet Foxes White Winter Hymnal. We were in the car and I wrote it down on a scrap of paper and promptly forgot about it. Until I found my scrap again. Anyway check it out if you haven't heard it. And maybe you'll fall in love with it too.

1 comment:

Hillary said...

Siblings are like that, aren't they? My oldest little sis and I are best friends, but we still have our fights.

In unrelated news, I find it ridiculous that blogger calls it's anti-spam measure "word verification," when it doesn't use real words. Currently it's insisting I enter "bresesp" for the "word" verification. I think blogger needs to go back to elementary school.