Thursday, April 26, 2012

What I’ve learned from Pinterest or kittens and heels don’t mix…


What I’ve learned from Pinterest or kittens and heels don’t mix…

Yeah I haven’t written anything in ages, apologies, etc. Moving on. 

I have a Pinterest account, it’s fun, it’s free it wastes time and it’s a great way to organize images that I want to keep in my head.  If you don’t have one and you want one just ask, I’ll invite you.  It’s by invitation only but you an invite as many people as you want.  That makes it semi exclusive.  I wasn’t expecting to learn much from my Pinterest experience, but that’s where I was wrong!

I learned that cats and kittens amuse me.  No really they do, if you look at my board “Stuff that amuses me” it’s full of cats.  Cats are funny. My favorite is the one with cat giving the kitten the exorcism.  Because add irreverence to cats and you’ve really tickled my funny bone.  


I also have a board that is devoted to shoes. Like many women I love shoes.  I love all sorts of shoes, beautiful shoes, fancy shoes, practical shoes, boots, flats, heals and Fluevogs.  

That’s one of the things that Pinterest reminds me, that I will never be rich.  Even if by some stroke of luck I made it big and had a zillion dollars, it wouldn’t last long because I would buy Fluevogs.  Because they are my favorite type of shoes.  They are beautiful practical shoes.  They have practical heals.   I’m a practical gal, I can’t spend my limited means on Fluevogs but if I had an excess of money, I might be excessive in my Fluevog collection. 

I’ve also been reminded that I don’t like stiletto heels.  There I’ve said it.  Hate me if you must.  There is a whole school of thought about stilettos and female empowerment. 

The stiletto heel came about in the 40’s and became popular in the 50’s quickly becoming part of the erotic culture.   It waned in popularity and revived in the 70’s and the 80’s.  And was all but abandoned in the 90’s when comfort was the rage. But they came back with a vengeance.  Some women view them as a source of empowerment, because they give you height (easier to compete with men when you’re as tall as they are) and even mastering the difficulty in walking in stilettos is empowering to them.  It shows not only can you do what men do, but you can do it walking on point sticks for heels.

I have several, no, make that many pairs of high heel shoes.  Sacked heals, heals with wider bases.  I love them. They are pretty, they make me feel tall.  When I wear them  I see the word from a different view.  I get wanting to wear high heels.  But I don’t wear them all of the time.  These are special occasion shoes.  I don’t think you should were high heals all of the time.  It’s bad for your feet and joints, it can shorten your tendons, it can make it harder to wear flats which can make it harder to be active.   

So why do I hate stilettos?  Mostly it’s because they  are impractical. They are hard to walk in, even short distances; they are easy to tip in.  We don’t generally land on that small heel perfectly; they wear unevenly and become even harder to walk in.  You can’t walk on grass in them and they dent floors. 

All of these drawbacks make them an ugly shoe to me.  It doesn’t empower women in my mind.  It’s silly.  Why not gain all of that height with a more solid heel?  What’s the point in limiting the surfaces you can walk on?  Why put yourself in a position of instability? 

Of course now we have super stilettos, the combination of the platform shoe and the stiletto.  Once labeled “stripper shoes”  now they are encourage for teenagers as young as thirteen and fourteen.  All of the stability of a stiletto with the added height of a stilt walker.  Sigh… Stilettos have become ugly to me.  And I wish we had more practical options for beautiful shoes.  That cost a little less than Fluevogs I so admire.

Where am I going with this?

Right combining two of my favorite Pinterest boards about cats and shoes can be paired with great success:



I’m not as fond of the heel of these but overall shoe is adorable:

Very effective combinations of kittens and shoes. As  are these combinations:



So kittens and shoes go together like peanut butter and jelly!

But kittens and heels together?  Hell no!  As much as I dislike stilettos and super stilettos, it is the kittenheel that I LOATHE and DESPISE most of all. 

Lets take the tiny platform of a stiletto heel but take out all of the glamour, the height, the erotic appeal, and  make the kitten heel.  A shoe that is slightly better for your feet but still, tippy, uncomfortable, and unattractive.  I hate kitten heels above all else.   You still can’t walk on the grass in them, you still can’t walk very far in them. 



I guess this pair is okay, there is always an exception to the rules.

So there you have it.  Kittens and heels don’t mix, and that’s what I learned from pinterest.

No comments: