Amanda Palmer is on TED Talks and has some interesting things to say about the music industry but more to the point of artists asking for money. And that interested me as an artist who makes no money, who can never figure out how to sell, or to ask people for money.
But I also remember her offering the flower and not being able to figure out what to do next. I didn't want to take her flower, not knowing if she had more flowers to give, not understanding if it was a prop she needed. It was uncomfortable. That intense eye contact she gave when gave her money actually seemed challenging and threatening to me. I felt like I might have missed the point of the exercise, it made me hesitant to give money again, it made me feel small. So the next time I'd see her I'd try to sneak the money in without her noticing. Sometimes she would be looking up at the sky or at a child, or at another performer. But she always caught me, and I'd slink away without comment.
My few interactions with Amanda Palmer, not even knowing it was "Amanda Fucking Palmer" left me feeling uneasy.
A while back a friend of mine who went to high school with Amanda Palmer posted this compassionate look at internet bullying. Again Amanda Palmer brought up some good points and she showed a lot of compassion for the people out there getting bullied, and poor Amanda Todd. But for some reason it left me feeling uneasy too. It bother's me that I can't figure out why I don't connect well with Amanda Palmer.
No comments:
Post a Comment