
I feel like I’ve been working on this stupid picture for ages. It still doesn’t feel complete. I’ll keep touching it up but for now I’m calling it done. Because it’s weighing me down. I have new project to start. New projects to weigh me down. And I have another painting I’m about half way through.
The hats and carpet are strait out of Zissou. The uniforms that the girls are wearing are based on the outfit my sister was wearing as I drew this. And yes those are Red Sox.
14 comments:
Do I see the same crab on the rug as was in your last drawing? I really feel for the girl on the right...I had being the 3rd wheel when your friend is dating a genie, especially when you know the only reason he's with her is because she rubs his bottle! Am I reading too much metaphor into this image?
.
Yeah that’s pretty much the same crab. It’s how I draw crabs anyway… Anytime I do a picture of two girls one blond, one redhead, or brunette… it’s me and my sister. So I’m the third wheel in this picture. My idea was that she was drawing and hadn’t noticed the genie yet. Beth acted as both models in this one, I drew her as she sat knitting and would change positions. But I liked your metaphor for it! I’m sure Beth will get a kick out of that.
Zelda! I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE this picture!!! The Camel! The Rug! The Perspective! The snow outside the window! The Bamboo furniture! The Palm tree! The hidden meanings! Loooooove it!!!
.
Thanks Marcie! I’m not entirely sure how I feel about this one. I’m glad it’s done. I struggled with color and texture and all that good stuff. I’m glad you liked it though.
I actually want that rug for my girls' room. Their walls are going to be that same color of purple. Wonder what it'd cost to have that commissioned? I need $2 mai-tais in my life. I'm pretty sure that's what I've been missing all my life ;)
i love it...especially the Red Sox socks...i think you're onto something here with the incorporation of different things from different places (movies, home town teams, ect...)....i like it alot...thanks for sharing it... :D
.
Hillary, have you ever thought of doing a painted canvas rug for their room? What am I thinking… as if you have time for painting rugs. With the schedule you’re on. I’ve always wanted to make a painted rug. What size are you thinking of? I’m just curious…
Fran, there’s a great quote from “Joe Versus the Volcano”… Art comes from someplace… It’s a great scene where Angelica explains to Joe where she gets her ideas for paintings. They are looking at a painting she did (of a car perched up high looking over the city) and the shot morphs to the two of them sitting at that same spot in that same car. Art comes from someplace.
Simple but true, my sister and I went through ours drawings the other day and started pointing out our references. Lamps, tables, clothes, chairs, hats… clocks… things from our lives popped up repeatedly. Those hats are Zissou hats that my sister knitted for us, that coffee table is my coffee table I put in a bunch of my drawings. Actually it was the old coffee table from down the cape. My dad bought it years ago and I took it to remember him. So I guess it’s a tip of the hat to dad every time it appears. I think that’s just natural as an artist, to use everyday thing, or things that inspire you in your work.
Joe vs. the Volcano! I have no response to that (except i do...I always have a response). I never heard of a painted canvas rug, but it sounds intriguing. Their room is huge...14 by 23 including the stairs that come up one side). Idealling a rug would be around 12 by 17...or something like that. That sounds so humongous...but I dream big.
Kathryn Zelda Zap Shea! (I had to come up with a way of full-naming you without knowing your middle name...or the spelling of your full first name...if that is your first name...anyway)...You need to post up the art you had on the old diary. How is a meek little girl from Kansas to show off your work if it isn't out for the world to view at leisure? ;) Just a thought I had while talking about your drawings to a friend of mine :). By the way, she thinks you are awesome.
Katherine Elizabeth Anne Shea is the full title, including confirmation name. I'm sorry I'm having access issues at home, I cannot connect for some reason. So be patient with me. I'll try to post this weekend, since I can't from work.
Woo-hoo!! Go Team Zissou! Go!
I like it, Kate. I think it looks very finished and you can safely walk away from it.
You Red Sox junkie! :)
Nice site!
My homepage | Please visit
Well done!
http://edonpyhx.com/wrrx/pnnc.html | http://scemqcrs.com/isyk/gowx.html
Post a Comment