Well dad didn’t come back. And I’m a little relieved.
Zombie films are one of my favorite genres of films because they scare me. Zombies scare me. Zombies and the church. But “They Came Back” a film that was eerie, without gore... that got me. And I was only half kidding when I talked about being on Zombie watch. Part of me expected him to come back and in a way someone did come back.
It was Allison. Brian’s ex-girlfriend, the one he should have married, the one he was going to marry, the one who slipped away. I haven’t seen her in maybe 8 or 9 or years. But I didn’t see her; I didn’t hear about her voice, I didn’t hear about her new life, her kids. Mom and Beth did. And I am a little sad that I didn’t see her. They tell me she was the same. When she and Brian broke up, that was it. I never saw her again. I never spoke to her again. She was just gone. Beth was the one who got in contact with her. And Brian got upset. But he doesn’t get as great as his hurt is, it was his choice, he said goodbye and we never did. She was just gone. And though he loves her more, we love her too. So on the day of Zombie watch, someone did come back... it just wasn’t who we were expecting.
Memories flooded me and I remembered Allison.
Allison who taught me so much, the older sister I always wanted. She taught me the tone of voice to use with when arguing for what you want with a smile. It’s especially useful when arguing with customer service. She was so different than us and so wonderful. I remember the summer of Jane. I remember going to get treats. When I would visit Brian in San Diego he would work and be tired, and Allison would hang out and do things with me. She showed me that you didn’t have to play by the rules. Rules are meant to be stretched, pushed and broken. She taught me that feminism is feminine, that girl power comes in many forms and that as different as people are admiration can be mutual. She brought an element into our lives that we never had. And I hope we did the same. She was special and from what I hear she still is.
Enough love letters to my former sister. It’s bringing me down.
Today is the day of my former youngest cousin’s college graduation. He used to me my youngest cousin. For years he was my youngest cousin. Until about 11 years ago. Since my 30th birthday Beth and I have reconnected with Steve. We went out on Christmas together, we plan on hanging out at our cousin Matt’s wedding. It’s nice. Steve and his brother Chris were like little brothers to me growing up. And of all of my cousins who I’ve lost touch with, they are the ones that I felt the loss strongest. But the reconnection has been great. And Steve is such a nice person, he’s a good egg.
So I’m looking forward to seeing him.
2 comments:
I didn't even realize you had posted. I'm sad you didn't get to see Allison. :( I know you were hoping you would. I'm also glad your dad didn't come back - sand storm or otherwise. I think that might have done some major emotional damage to not only your family but just about everyone else who ever heard about it.
It's so strange when one loses touch with people... how one person can play such a major role in ones life one moment and just be gone the next. Either by death or because things just happen and people pull apart.
Life is strange.
I hate comment spam. Just posting to let you know that I watched They Came Back and I have no clue what happened at the end. I think I am too tired to have grasped it... but it creeped me out. Especially Rachel and Mathieu. And the little boy... I can't even comprehend losing a kid and then suddenly having them there again... but not there.
Post a Comment