Monday, October 08, 2007

Hope for the future!

Seriously folks, I have hope for the future.

Hope came to me yesterday in the form of a handstand. That’s right kids, a handstand, a genuine handstand against a wall. I kicked up and I stayed. And I stayed. And when I was done I gently came down.

Now I’ve been working on handstands for weeks, for months really if you count class. I wouldn’t because my efforts have been so half hearted there. It just seamed so unobtainable. Honestly I was having a hard time believing I could do it. In fact I still have a hard time believing. And fear is definitely a factor. Still. I’m terrified. But it’s so damn cool! And so unexpected. And so unlike my body to be able to do something like that. It’s kind of crazy sexy cool!

And it gives me hope.

In yoga, at the end of practice they always tell you to thank your body, for its hard work, for committing to this practice. I don’t say it enough. I don’t appreciate it enough. I don’t marvel at it enough. I’m a lousy friend to my body sometimes, I’m the friend who criticizes, and complains about you, who abuses you and expects too much from you.

So I just want to say thank you to my body, for doing something so amazing.

Thank you for letting me see that there is still hope. That a body like mine is still amazing, still wonderful, still unexpectedly capable. Thank you for fighting the good fight, for helping me balance, for kicking up there. And a special shout out to my arms and hands for supporting the entire weight of my body, without letting me crash onto my head, breaking my neck etc. I really appreciate it.

No comments: